We visited our farm three times this spring and have formed a closer relationship with our farmers. It’s been enlightening to hear about the trials and triumphs our growers experience. John and I certainly appreciate our food a lot more knowing who grows it and that we’re supporting their livelihood, as well as eco-friendly growing practices. That’s what makes CSAs so great. Not to mention, the food is so much fresher and healthier!
We stopped by the farmers market this morning and picked up our first official CSA share of the season. Nothing too shocking here. In fact, we’ve gotten most of these items over the last two weeks in our preview shares.
asparagus, chard, spinach, lettuce, spring onions, endive, mustard greens, kale
This meal plan came together pretty quickly considering the large amount of green leafy stuff (which we’ve found challenging to plan around in the past). And even though we’re familiar with these guys, we are taking on all new recipes with ’em. I’m especially looking forward to stuffing the chard leaves — something different than the usual saute.
Here’s what we’re eating this week:
- Lettuce will be salads for lunches
- Sunday: Curly endive with spaghetti (adding chicken meatballs)
- Monday: Beef and rice stuffed swiss chard
- Tuesday: Chicken stir fry with green onions, snow peas, carrots, red pepper over brown rice (using this sauce recipe)
- Wednesday: Lentil stew with mustard greens and sausage (adding the small amount of kale, using leftover chicken sausage, subbing homemade vegetable broth)
- Thursday: yoyo (you’re on your own)
- Friday: Honey mustard salmon with roasted asparagus
- Saturday: Pasta with creamy spinach sauce
I’m also going to whip up these favorites for weekday and weekend breakfasts respectively:
- Granola (I like to add 1/4 cup of molasses — tastes like gingerbread)
- Banana crumb muffins (sub white whole wheat flour and reduce sugar)
How about you? Any favorite ways to prepare these springtime veggies? I’m always up for suggestions.
This post is linked up at In Her Chucks CSA link party.