Like everywhere else in the country, it’s freaking hot here. Most of the time, I like my food hot (temperature wise). It takes some strong influences to get me to crave cold food. And a week of temps flirting with 100 has done just that. Salads are certainly the name of the game around here as of late. This week we’re trying out some new ones and falling back on some favorites.
We’re also using the remainder of last week’s cabbage to revive one of my husband’s quirky favorites: runzas (a pocket sandwich made with cabbage and ground beef). He likes his fancied up with bacon, barbecue sauce, and cheese. I make them with homemade whole wheat dough.
beets, carrots, green bell peppers, cucumber, onion, celery, corn, green and wax beans
- Sunday: stuffed green peppers
- Monday: chocolate beet muffins / tropical cucumber salad / runzas with corn on the cob
- Tuesday: celery and carrot tossed with sesame or green bean and celery salad or apple and celery salad with walnuts
- Wednesday: yoyo
- Thursday: oven baked chicken strips with potato and green bean salad
- Friday: pizza (with whatever toppings we can scrape up, be it veggies, herbs, stuff from the freezer)
- Saturday: TBD (probably one of the other salads above)